Friday, August 12, 2011

Music (Therapy) and Me


Our first concert at the Centre for Brain Research Christmas Party 2009





Shortly after I was diagnosed with Parkinson's a couple of years ago I went to a Brain Research seminar where I heard about the CeleBRation Choir which had just been set up for people with Parkinson's and aphasia. It was a very small group and quite enjoyable and very nice people, both the people running the choir and the participants. I looked forward to it every week as although I didn't have any speech problems I felt I wanted to keep these undesirables at bay as long as possible. But the main reason was I had never been in a choir and nursed a secret hankering to be part of one and here was my opportunity.

I also appreciated the benefits of music in my everyday life as a calming enriching experience, as long as it was not too loud. Music seems to facilitate my cognitive ability to do two things at once too, which is very useful. I can listen to music and have a conversation, do a crossword or sudoku much faster, concentrate more somehow, certainly exercise at the gym better. (However occasionally the music is very loud there and I have observed that some of us with Parkinson's find it unbearable and not definitely not condusive to good coordination). Daily exercise at the YMCA as part of the Never 2 Old Programme is the other essential keeping me fit and well.

Anyway they are now doing some formal research on the benefits of the choir for people who have Parkinson's and others who have had a stroke. Yesterday I had an interview and was surprised how eloquently I recalled the benefits of regular music on my life over the past two years - The choir once a week , daily listening to music round 4pm, and weekly attendance at lunchtime concerts in the Central Library. Long may it last!

No comments:

Post a Comment